Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Whew!

What a week!!!!
I am a gal who likes chronological order, so we start last Monday the 12th!
~
Our 10th anniversary week got canceled, but thanks to an amazingly wonderful gal in the ward we got one night away! So off we ran to Boston... BY OURSELVES!!!
Thanks to Dan's millions of Marriott points we got to stay at the Long Wharf Marriott in a very nice room, ours is the top floor on the right! We were right on the harbor over looking the city!
Here is the harbor, we were on the consire's floor so we got free breakfast, and the breakfast room overlooked the harbor, it was beautiful!
We took off as soon as we got there to see some sites. We had originally planned to walk the entire Freedom Trail, but we did not get there until after noon so we got to see most of it. It just means we will have to go back, right!
This was our first stop, the Paul Revere House, I love historical houses anyway, and then the added history was great!!
This is a bell that was cast in the Revere Family shop, it was in the courtyard of the house.
This is a statue of Samuel Adams in front of Faneuil Hall, Dan bought me a miniature "Boston Bean Pot" here.
This is the top of the Old South Meeting house...
...and this is the bottom! I took these pictures in the Boarders Bookstore, we bought Robert McCloskey's Make Way For Ducklings here, it takes place in Boston and he is one of our favorite authors. The kids were excited to read another of his books!
Boston Latin School, this is a school Benjamin Franklin went to for a time before dropping out and educating himself.
This is the entrance to the Public Garden, where most of Make Way For Ducklings takes place! We did see many mama and daddy ducks, and were chased by attack squirrels! After living at SVC where they really did attack it was a little unnerving to be chased, I am supposing for food! :)
Here is George Washington, there are many statues all of them good but I thought I would not boor you with too many! :)
We are strolling back through Boston Commons here, and I thought I would show you my saving grace! It was FREEZING and I was warmed by my nice cup of hot herbal tea!
This is the Granary Burial grounds, John Hancock, Samuel Adams, Paul Revere, and Benjamin Franklin's parents are buried here.


Here is the Bell in Hand Tavern, it is the oldest tavern in the United States! This is where we ate dinner. By the time we had finished dinner the sun had gone down and although it was still plenty light the temperature had dropped to unbearable and the strong wind had increased so as to make strolling more of an effort. So we headed back to the hotel!
Here is the view out our window, on the far left near the top you can see the white top of Faneuil Hall which by the way is a fall out shelter. The things you learn!
Here is another view out our window more to the left of the last picture. All in all Boston was great, it was a wonderful place to walk around. We can not wait to see the rest of the Freedom Trail, and to share it with our kids!!
The next day we went to the Boston Temple, it was nice as it has been impossible for Dan and I to go together to the temple since we moved here. Logistics and scheduling have prevented it! After our peaceful time there we headed down to Hartford to the airport to pick up....
~
To be continued!




2 comments:

  1. has anyone ever told you you take beautiful pictures? well you do, there so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, sometimes I wish I knew more about photograph, or heck just baout my camera!!

    ReplyDelete