To me winter is the perfect time for reading and sewing, I may love the outdoors but I just can not play long in 10-30 degree weather!! Yes I am a cold wimp living in New England! :)
So I am an avid library goer, you will RARELY find a time when we do not have a load of books borrowed, but every once in a while I get an itch for a new book of my very own. If you have been to our house you maybe laughing seeing as we are not short on books "of my very own", but I still get it! :) So this time I indulged myself and took a whole whopping $7 out of my budget and splurged!! Barnes and Noble have a great line of inexpensive paperback classics. Who's classics list it is I have no clue, as the definition of a classic is a book you would read more than once and still enjoy it. But I digress, so I bought myself my own copy of Louisa May Alcott's Little Women. What a lovely book, their descriptions of home are the most pleasant I could imagine, I would move there tomorrow! I am trying to read it more slowly and "savor" it longer, I do not get to do that with library books- there is always the due date looming over my head, plus the dreaded fine!!!! Another thing that is fun about it this time is that it takes place in Concord, New Hampshire which is not all that far from here. Through the whole book they make reference to the book "Pilgrim's Promise", it is am allegory of getting through the trials of life and making it to heaven, I have recently heard a few homeschool moms make reference to reading it, and so I think it will have to be on my "to read" list this year. Jake is all about Franklin books, when ever we go to the library he makes a bee line strait to where they are! I found a couple at the library sale for $.50, they are a treasure! Riley enjoys the Color Kitten's Grandma J. bought that for him and it is a treasure! Fern loves her Owl Babies book I bought her, when I read it I change the 3 owl manes to Riley, Jake, & Fern, she has been longer to warm up to being read to than the boys did, but now she is often found "reading" or singing to her baby dolls! :) Dan, well he enjoys his corporate pilot magazine, the Liahonia in German, and he is working on a homeschool book I asked him to read, but it is hard to get him fired up about a book. But I am slowly working on him! :)
And if I could ever get my sweet little one to sleep early, or if she were just not permanently attached to my hair I would be at the sewing machine. Here are a couple great FREE patterns I am longing to try, when budget and little ones allow. I am overly ambitious and dreadfully lazy, so if you feel so inclined they would also be great homemade gifts for our family! :) Maybe I should pick up my crochet hook and try to make something too, we'll see after the hussel of Christmas toy making is over!
So to the tune of "What do you do in the summertime?" (I can only hear John Bytheway's version in my head right now!!)
What do you do in the Wintertime?
"I am overly ambitious and dreadfully lazy"
ReplyDeleteME TOO! I have so many ideas floating around in my head, but I lack the motivation.
On today's winter day we are staying inside and watching the snowfall. This is my favorite kind of cold day since here in Colorado the snow falls mostly at night!
Ooo, I wish it was snowing, it is just plain COLD here, and I have library books due today! EEKK I have to go out!! Thanks for stoping over!
ReplyDelete