Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Texas!!

I got to go on an adventure last weekend!! 


I hopped a couple planes and ended up in Dallas, TX! First and foremost to see my hubby and secondly to go someplace I have always wanted to go.
ATHENS TEXAS!! 
Athens is where my Grandma M. grew up, and where her mom and sister stayed. 
The highlight besides just being there was finding their home! It is an office now and was unfortunately closed so I did not get to go in. But just being there, knowing that was were my grandma had played as a little girl and said good bye to her mama when she went off to the war as a nurse was oh so sweet!


This is my great-grandma in front of the house, this picture and the other two were pictures my grandma took with her to the Canal Zone that I found in an old wallet of hers.


After leaving the house we found the Methodist Church and talked with a couple parishioners who were familiar to the area, we were wondering where the old Methodist church was so I could see where my family had worshiped. Sadly it is gone, but my great-grandma and my aunt would have been there when they built the new one and would have worshiped there. 
We were also able to find out from them which of the cemeteries they would most likely be in. AND!! We found them!!
Tabitha is my great-great grandmother, Ann's mother.
Ann is my great-grandmother and name sake to my sister and my little Leili.
Dorothy is my great-aunt, she and my grandma were great friends, they often talked on the phone even though long distance was so expensive. I remember answering the phone at my grandma's house and chatting a little with aunt Dorothy and always being so amazed with how much she sounded like my grandma!
May was a mystery to me. But she was in the family plot and obviously carried our family name. I searched her out when I got home, she is Ann's half sister. Tabitha raised her after marrying my great-great grandfather after he was widowed. 
Sadly my trip was super short and the only Texas wildflowers I saw were on this beautiful mosaic in the airport. I am glad to have gone somewhere on my "bucket list" but this one is not crossed off! I am already plotting my trip back! 
It was so wonderful and I am so glad I got to do it with Dan!

No comments:

Post a Comment