It is fall, it is getting cooler (some days), our rhythm is moving more indoors these days than out and I have tried a new angle on a desired goal...




More than once I have had someone teach one of my children how to knit, and then they get home and get stuck or mess up and then that is the end of knitting. I have always regulated learning how to knit as learning Chinese, or learning to read music... just not in my brain level. :) So fall is here, I taught Jake to crochet. I taught Fern to finger knit (I learned that on youtube)! And then I found another willing (crazy) kind person who would show Riley how to knit... but she didn't. She sat down next to me. ME? She showed me how to knit. My fingers have not felt oh so awkward in I don't know how long. I thought of Jake and how awkward his hands were just a couple weeks before and I felt a deeper connection with my children. They learn new and awkward things all the time but do I give them enough time and understanding?
So guess what! I KNIT a washcloth! And I taught Riley to knit, and I figured out how to fix his mistakes! What in the world?!
And since then there are the impromptu knitting parties that spring up, just like our impromptu book times that I love! And so Fern finger knits (she a professed professional), Leili "finger knits" with her yarn, Riley is knitting a doll blanket for Leili, and Jake crochets or weaves! All while I knit. And I am not so awkward now. I think I like it more than crocheting. Maybe I'll learn to pearl too!
When you teach a girl to fish, everyone eats fish...
First off, cool that you learned how. Not a skill I have. Second, how freaking cool is it that you have family knitting parties?! I love it!
ReplyDelete