Monday, January 16, 2012

New Foods!

My family knows there will be some new often crazy dinner at our table every so often and that some of them will be awesome enough to make it into our regular rotation! We've had a couple fun ones this month I thought I'd share!


This Swedish girl knows there is more to their cuisine than meatballs and lingdonberries (although lingdonberries are lovely)! So on a recent trip over the hill to Ikea I picked up some smoked salmon or Gravlax. I made up some potato pancakes and found this recipe for a sauce, it was great! We also had a big salad, pickled beets, and Glogg (next holiday season I'll buy a case!). This got thumbs up from everyone! Next up, BEANS!
I have a thing for Mexican food (that is putting it mildly). For Christmas my mom bought me a 50 lb. sack of Anasazi beans, I read on the internet that they make great refried beans. So I made some up to go with tacos one night and then the kids had them IN tacos on date night. They came out great, they do not have a strong flavor. And really I don't think one could tell I did not use pintos! I think they cooked up a little dryer than pinto refried beans (I just added more oil and bean water and they were fine). I'd like to try these beans in another recipe too, something where they retain their shape and are not disguised as another...
But thumbs up for this one too, my family always goes for beans!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting, I've never heard of those. I like pink beans better than pinto beans for refried beans. They are creamier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, beans totes rock. Little foster is chowing down on beans like crazy, it's cracking me up. I'm like, Cool, I can finally start rotating my food storage beans! These pics look Gloggulous, fish is my fave. We Poles also have a taste for the sea.

    ReplyDelete