Saturday, September 17, 2011

We have been busy this end of summer/ nearing fall with putting away all of the beautiful colors of summer for a colder, whiter day!

We love fermented dill pickles so I tried my hand at making some on my own by loosely following THESE directions. I think I may jar up another couple jars too!
And I got some strawberries jammed before they were all eaten last week! ;) I use Pomona's for our pectin so I was able to use honey as the sweetener in this.
We have also frozen strawberries, blueberries, and corn. And we are looking forward to apples of course, and anything else we can get our hands on! Pears are tomorrow!
One of my favorite canning books is Putting Food By, and I covet The Natural Canning Resource Guide and Root Cellaring!
What is your favorite summer goody put away for the winter months?

5 comments:

  1. It is ideal and we work to that end, but life is life! :) It was super cute this week, apples are in (I don't buy apples off season from other countries)and I bought 12. My kids were SO excited and they ate them up in a day and a half! Local and in season are my goals! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made pickles! That's so awesome! It's on my to-do-someday list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I almost fell over Cherish! I can not believe you have not tried pickles! Your always ahead of me on these things! ;) Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now we have added crabapple jelly, dried apple rings, and red bell peppers frozen! ;)

    ReplyDelete