Still no photo to go along, but thats ok I think the picture in my header up there fits well for my thoughts today!
Things are different on this side of the country, REALLY different. I could write a million blog posts and still find more differences I am sure! But one difference is that there are just not as many big families here, and it seems with Leili's birth we were propelled into the category of "Big Family". I am sure some of it is the cost, it is expensive here, but I think most of it is the culture and overall view. As we are a homeschooling family, the kids go everywhere with me, plus we have already had some fun adventures that I promise to share once I get the pictures off my camera. So already I have heard quite often, "Wow, are these all yours?" or, "You have your hands full" and even, "Your busy". :) I usually always try to respond with something about being very blessed, or that they are all blessings. I have also started with things like I enjoy it or we have alot of fun too!
I also hear pretty often well meaning people who suggest that I need a break or sanity time. But really I had 4 children because I wanted to, and I homeschool because I enjoy having my children around (most of the time), plus I know I have found that if I start spending much time away from the kids then I seem to have less patience with them when I am with them. It is like a vicious cycle!
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my date night with Dan, and even other times I have by myself. But I don't need to be rescued from my kids! Except maybe after Dan has been on a long trip! :)
I am not perfect, I have bad days when I wish I was a teenager and could sleep all day. But overall I really enjoy my kids we have fun and I know they are truly a blessing from my Heavenly Father. And I know that this is my most important calling/job!
I recently found this blog post that I thought I would share, this gal is alot more eloquent and I agreed with her on this one!
I hope you all are enjoying your children today, if not ask Heavenly Father to help you enjoy them, He will help! Children are to be a joy! It also helps to peek at them when they are sleeping, there is nothing so angelic as a sleeping child! :)
I'm glad you enjoy being a mom! Yeah, I think 4 children does cross the 'big family' threshold in a lot of areas. I think up here it's more like 5-6 kids. However, we're also the weirdos because we have no kids yet at our age. I know that would be very normal in NYC or other career-oriented places, but it's so strange in Utah. Even worse when I get near Provo.
ReplyDeleteI get that all the time, "you have you hands full."
ReplyDeleteI kindly agree, "yes, oh yes I do."
I do have my hands full, but I love it. Most of the time.
Today I definately needed a "rescue", I'm sorry to say, but I think HF knew it, and a miracle happened, THEY'RE BOTH SLEEPING!!! Be so happy for your "Big family" (I know you are, you don't need me to tell you that), I'd like to expand but it's just not happening, (at least not accordiing to my time-table!) And now you're gone and I can't even steal your kids anymore to tide me over! I love you guys xoxoxo Love, Lisa
ReplyDeleteThey are all jealous. I'm jealous I wish I could have four kids. Almost any mother I know wishes they had one more. I remember when you moved to Naugatuck I made a stupid negative remark about homeschooling and still feel bad to this day. People can be mean because of their own insecurities. Sorry I was one of those people when you came to CT. Thanks for forgiving me. Hope you settle in soon and put behind you the stress of moving. Miss you guys.
ReplyDeleteI love to read about your family. I have the opposite experience now living outside CA, here in TX our family is "just starting out". I can't wait to get little Leili and Lizzie together. We'll come to visit as soon as we can. Love you all.
ReplyDeleteI have often heard those comments, too, about "Wow, you really have your hands full!" But happily, a fair number of them are "been there, done that" folks who revel in children. I also get frequent reminders to enjoy this time with them because it goes so fast. Too true. I'm trying to take pictures, make memories, write it down as much as I can.
ReplyDelete